What are the potential impacts of an ownership change?¶
While there may be some changes to the services attached to your domain, a “change of ownership” operation is mainly administrative. For example:
- The change does not interfere with the operation of other Gandi services associated with the domain name assigned (Gandi Site, Gandi Blog, Gandi Mail, Gandi PaaS, Gandi IaaS, etc.).
- The change does not modify the technical characteristics of the domain name given: zone file, DNS, associated messaging, associated hosting, etc.
Some Gandi services associated with the domain name will also change ownership during a change of ownership. It is up to you to terminate these services before giving up your domain name to another person or organization if you do not want the future owner to have access to these services.
- Expiration Date
- In most cases, the expiration date of a domain remains unchanged after a change of ownership. However, some registries apply different rules. To see more information about a specific extension, search the extension’s information in our extension list. The information will be found under “Procedures” on the Rules tab. For example, this page. You can also contact our support team for help finding this information.
- DNS Records
- DNS records configured before the change of ownership will stay the same even after a change of ownership. It will be searchable and modifiable by the new owner.
- Web Forwarding
- Forwarding addresses configured before the change of ownership will stay the same after the change of ownership. They will be searchable and modifiable by the new owner. If web forwarding uses an https address the new owner will need to replace any SSL certificates that were lost in the owner change (see the SSL Certificates section below).
- Mailboxes (GandiMail)
- Any existing GandiMail mailboxes will not deleted after a change of ownership. The new owner will be able to access any mailboxes. If you do not wish to transfer the existing GandiMail boxes—including any emails stored in them—to the new holder, the owner must delete this service before initiating the change of ownership.
- The GandiBlog
- Existing blogs are transferred to the account of the new owner of the domain. If you do not wish to transfer any blogs to the new owner, he or she will have to delete them before initiating the change of ownership procedure.
- Sites (Go Sitebuilder)
- Sites created using Go Sitebuilder remain attached to the account that created them: the new domain owner will not have access. If the original owner opted for a free site, it will remain in the previous owner’s account, but note that the new owner will not be able to benefit from the free site offer for this domain.
- SSL Certificates
- SSL Certificates are not automatically transferred to the new owner. The new owner of the domain name will not be able to create a free standard certificate for the same domain if the previous owner has already benefited from this offer.