When you purchase a product from Gandi, such as a domain name or hosting services, you have two main options for sharing this product with collaborators: sharing through an organization or sharing via quickshare. If you’re not sure which to use, you may want to check out our Teams vs Quickshare page to see which works better for your situation.
To learn how to make changes to sharing settings you have already created, check out our page on managing sharing.
Sharing Through an Organization¶
With Gandi you have the option of creating an organization account for legal entities, such as a business or association. This organization becomes the official owner of the products under it. The organization will have its own billing and contact information, separate from your personal account.
When you create an organization you also have the ability to create teams. With teams, each member has their own individual Gandi account but is still able to access and manage the products of the organization. You can also limit what members of a team are able to do with a product by setting permissions for the team.
Organizations are the best option if you want to share all the products belonging to a single organization with other people in that organization, or with people working for that organization as a service provider.
If you want to share with a team, these pages will explain the steps required.
Sharing Through Quickshare¶
Quickshare allows you to share your products on a product by product basis. Like organizations and teams, each person you share with will have their own Gandi account from which they will be able to access the products you share with them.
Sites built with Go Sitebuilder are not currently available to be shared through Quickshare.
Share a Single Product¶
To share a single product follow these steps:
- After logging in, find the product you wish to share in your account. If it is a domain, go to the “Domains” section and click on the name of the domain you wish to share.
- Go to the “Sharing” tab for the product.
- Under “Quickshare Permissions” click “Share.”
- Type in the Gandi username or email address of the person you are going to share your product with. If you share with a Gandi username the email will go to their “organization” email, not their security email.
- If you wish to add more names, click “Invite more” and also add their username or email address.
- Select which permissions you wish to give.
- Click “Share.”
After you sent the invitation, the recipient must click on the link in their email to be linked to this product in their account. If they already have a Gandi account, they should log in with this account before clicking the link. If they do not yet have a Gandi account they will be prompted to create one.
Share Many Products at Once¶
If you wish to share several domain names at once you can do this through the domains table view in your account.
- After logging in, click “Domains” to see a list of the domains you have access to.
- Next to the search bar click on the “Table view” button. If the table view button is dark blue then you are in table view.
- Check all the domains you wish to share. You can use the search options to help find the domains you wish to share. You can also click the topmost checkbox in the header to check every domain in the list.
- A menu will appear on the bottom of your screen. Click “Quickshare.”
- Enter the Gandi username or email address of the person you wish to share with. If you have more than one person you want to share with, click “Invite more.” If you share with a Gandi username the email will go to their “organization” email, not their security email
- Select which permissions you wish to make available.
- Select “Share” to send the invitation or invitations.
As with sharing a single product, the recipient must click on the link in their email to be linked to this product in their account. If they already have a Gandi account, they should log in with this account before clicking the link. If they do not yet have a Gandi account they will be prompted to create one.