How to Change the Owner of Your Domain Name¶
To change the owner of a domain name, follow these steps.
You can launch the order for a single domain or for many domains at once.
- After logging in, select “Domains” from the left navigation menu.
- Click on the name of the domain you want to change.
- From that domain’s overview choose “Domain Contacts”,
- You will see a box with the owner information and two buttons: “Edit” and “Change”. Click “Change”.
There are several options available in table view for managing many domains at once, including the option to change the owner.
- After logging in, select “Domains” from the left menu.
- Make sure you are in table view by clicking “Table View” next to the search bar on top of the list of domains.
- Check the boxes next to all the domains you want to change.
- Click “Change Owner” from the options that appear on the bottom of the screen.
After you have opened the dialog box for an owner change you will select who the new owner will be. You can choose from the following options:
- “Me” to change the owner to yourself as an individual. The form will then be filled out with the information of your v5 personal account,
- “One of my organizations” to change the owner to an organization that you are working with. The form will then be filled out with the information of that organization,
- “A third party” to change the owner to someone else. In this case you need to fill out the form with the contact details of the new owner.
- “A customer” to change the owner to a customer. This option is only available in reseller accounts.
At this point, we check to see if the new owner information meets registry rules for the domain’s ownership and we allow you to edit any missing or invalid information before continuing to checkout.
After the owner change operation has been launched, we send 2 confirmation emails that must be confirmed within 15 days:
- Confirmation email to the current owner contact
- Confirmation email to the new owner
Once these have been confirmed both parties will get a final email confirming the owner change. If the email address for the owner’s Gandi account is different than the email listed in the official whois for the domain then an email will sent be to both email addresses.
The new owner must accept a final invitation email before the domain will be visible in their list of domains.
After the new and old owners confirm the owner change, another email is sent to the new owner asking them if they want to import the domain to a Gandi account. The new owner can either import the domain name into an existing account or create a new Gandi account.
This action needs to be done within 15 days, or you will need to contact support so we can resend a new invitation email.
Once done, the domain will then be made available to the existing or new account.